If there is one tool that every web designer needs then I’d have to say that it is Firebug. Once you have used it a few times, you will forever feel naked without it. Firebug is a web development toolbar that adds onto Firefox and allows web designers and developers to analyse and edit a website in real time. Firebug is a great time saving device for the web designers that use it. I’ll outline a few of its features in this article. If you would prefer to just try it out for yourself then you can download it now.
- Inspect and edit HTML on the spot.
- Edit CSS on the spot, tweak the styles until you get the style you want.
- Visualise the CSS with the ability to outline the elements on a web page including divs and block level elements.
- See the margins and padding on certain elements.
- Monitor network activity so you can see each file that a web page loads as well as the time it takes to load.
- Error notifications quickly bring your attention to any errors on the page.
- Find DOM objects on the fly.
Firebug is simply a great web development tool that I think every web designer should have.